Guam Department of Education - Division of Special Education
Types of Services Offered: Education & Training, Support Services, Employment Services
Category: Government Local
- Services Offered
- Hours of Operations
- Website & Social Media
- Images, Videos, and other Files
- Other Info
The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) requires that each state and outlying territory establish and maintain an advisory panel for advising the State special education staff regarding the education of all eligible children with disabilities. In Guam that advisory panel is the Guamm Advisory Panel for Students with Disabilities or GAPSD.
The mission of the advisory panel is to guide and assist the Department of Education's Division of Special Education in fulfilling its responsibility to meet the individual needs of children with disabilities.
Functions of GAPSD
To advise DOE of unmet needs in the education of students with disabilities.
To comment publicly on proposed rules and regulations by DOE regarding the education of students with disabilities.
To advise DOE in developing evaluations and reporting data to US DOE (OSEP).
To advise DOE in developing corrective action plans.
To advise DOE in developing and implementing policies relating to the coordination of services for students with disabilities.
To monitor the implementation of activities and timetables pursuant to court orders or special condition.
To advise DOE on training needs for families of students with disabilities.
Memberships for GAPSD:
GAPSD is made up of a diverse group of individuals with expertise on all aspects affecting special education and related issues. Our membership include:
· Parents and Grandparents
· Persons with Disabilities
· DOE, Division of Special Education Program Administrators
· Representative of Higher Learning
· Juvenile and Adult Correctional Program Administrators
· Department of Integrated Services for Individuals with Disabilities (DISID) Representative
· Community Representatives
· Private School Representatives
· Teachers (Special Education and General Education Teachers)
- Education services
- Employment/Job Training
- Support for Parents
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
Antonette Muna Santos
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday