University of Guam - Violence Against Women Prevention Program (VAWPP)
Types of Services Offered: Domestic Violence Services, Campus Resources, Sexual Assault Services, Education & Training
Category: Government Local
- Services Offered
- Hours of Operations
- Website & Social Media
- Images, Videos, and other Files
- Other Info
University of Guam- Violence Against Women Prevention Program (VAWPP) aims to address the prevention of violent crimes against women on campus, particularly domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, and stalking, and to provide services for victims of these crimes.
Mission: The Violence Against Women Prevention Program was created in 2007 through a federally funded grant awarded to the University of Guam by the U.S. Department of Justice, Office on Violence Against Women. The aim of the Program is to address the prevention of violent crimes against women on campus, particularly domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, and stalking, and to provide services for victims of these crimes.
1. Develop and implement education programs for the prevention of violence against women.
2. Develop a comprehensive victim services program.
3. Develop and implement campus policies, protocols, and services to respond to violent crimes against women on campus.
4. Create a community response network to address violence against women on campus.
5. Inform victims of their options to pursue disciplinary or legal action against the perpetrator(s).
6. Train the UOG community to respond effectively to violence against women.
The Program serves as a resource and victim services center for University of Guam students, staff, faculty, and members of their families. Services the program offers include:
Education and Training Programs
- Education programs to students
- Training programs for UOG student leaders, faculty, staff, administration, and campus security personnel
Interactive Classroom Presentations
- Mandatory Prevention and Education Programs to all incoming students
- Safety assistance and options for clients
Counseling and Emotional Support
- Counseling services
- Referrals to campus and community professionals
- Immediate, short-term assistance to individuals who’ve experienced emotional, mental, physical, and behavioral distress or problems caused by domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, or stalking
Risk Assessment and Safety Planning
- Assessment of the severity of situation and safety of clients
- Development of a safety plan indicating what to do when in a violent situation or how to prevent being involved in one
- Development of a contact list of support network (e.g., family, friends, neighbors, co-workers, faculty, campus security personnel, community law enforcement, etc.)
Advisement on Legal Options
- Criminal and civil prosecution upon accused individual
- Disciplinary action through the University Student Discipline & Appeals Committee
Referrals to Other Services
- Referrals to community service providers
- Tabling events
- Film showings
- Media appearances
All services are confidential-information is released only through the client’s consent.
University of Guam; Humanities and Social Sciences Bldg. (1st floor Room 103), GUAM, GUAM
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
UOG, university, violence against women, prevention program, domestic violence, domestic abuse, domestic violence services, campus resources, sexual assault services, sexual assault, sexual violence, sexual abuse, education & training, government local, d