Department of Public Health and Social Services - Bureau of Nutrition ServicesBNS
Phone: 1-671-475-0295/6 (Central Tiyan Office), 1-671-735-7180 (Mangilao Office), 1-671-635-7471/2 (Northern Office), 1-671-565-3537 (Southern Office)
Fax: 1-671-477-7945 (Central Tiyan Office), 1-671-635-7476 (Northern Office)
Types of Services Offered: Education & Training, Public Assistance Services
Category: Government Local
- Services Offered
- Hours of Operations
- Website & Social Media
- Images, Videos, and other Files
- Other Info
Role of the Bureau of Nutrition Services (BNS):
- Promote healthier eating habits and lifestyles on Guam through education and media.
Ensure that individuals at critical periods of growth and development in infancy, early childhood, pregnancy and lactation have access to nutritious foods.
Provide statewide leadership for priority nutrition, obesity and physical activity policies and environmental changes across all settings and special populations.
Serve as a central coordinating body for all nutrition, obesity and physical activity-related activities for Guam with a focus on increasing collaboration and sharing of resources.
In collaboration with partners, plan, implement, and evaluate a comprehensive state plan to promote nutrition and physical activity and prevent overweight, obesity and its associated chronic diseases.
Serve as a resource and provide technical assistance to statewide partners.
Leverage and increase local and federal investment and resources for nutrition and physical activity promotion.
Maintain a comprehensive surveillance system for the ongoing systematic collection of nutrition, physical activity, and obesity data as well as policy and environmental change information.
Continuously improve nutrition assistance program management and customer service.
· General Nutrition Services: General Nutrition Services (GNS) is responsible for the overall planning, development, direction, coordination and evaluation of locally-funded public health nutrition programs for the Territory.
· Women, Infants, & Children (WIC) Program: The WIC Program serves as an adjunct to health care for pregnant, post-partum and breastfeeding women and children from birth to 4 years of age who are determined to be at nutritional risk.
· WIC Farmer’s Market Nutrition Program: WIC FMNP serves to increase the awareness of nutritional value, promote the use and consumption of fresh fruits and vegetables, and promote the use and availability of farmers’ markets on the island.
· Breastfeeding Peer Counselors Program: BFPCP is a training and technical assistance project which began in 2004 with the goal of equipping WIC Programs with a framework for designing and maintaining peer counseling programs.
· The Preventive Health and Health Services Block Grant: PHHSBG is a 100% federally-funded program by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) which provides community-based health promotion and disease prevention activities on Guam.
1-671-475-0295/6 (Central Tiyan Office), 1-671-735-7180 (Mangilao Office), 1-671-635-7471/2 (Northern Office), 1-671-565-3537 (Southern Office)
1-671-477-7945 (Central Tiyan Office), 1-671-635-7476 (Northern Office)
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
Infants, Children, Teens, Adults, Seniors